Professional Jewelry & Gemstone Appraiser
Serving the Greater Los Angeles area, Inland Empire & Desert Communities
Theresa (Teri) Newman Brossmer is an independent jewelry appraiser and GIA Graduate Gemologist.
You may reach Teri at 626-335-6002 or use our email contact form. (Map)
- Over 30 years of experience in the jewelry industry
- Certified as a Master Gemologist Appraiser®
- AGA Certified Gemological Laboratory #36
- Graduate Gemologist (GG) - Gemological Institute of America (GIA)
- Accredited Senior Member (ASA) of the American Society of Appraisers
- Senior Member of the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers (NAJA)
- Certificate in Appraisal Studies - University of California Irvine
- Qualified Appraiser under IRS Guidelines for Qualified Appraisals
Gemological Appraisal Services for...
Why Appraise Your Jewelry, Diamonds, Gemstones & Watches?
One of the first questions an appraiser may ask you is, "Why do you need this appraisal"? This may seem like a nosey question to people who are unfamiliar with appraisal practice, but it is in fact an indication that you may be speaking with a trained professional appraiser.
Each jewelry appraisal must identify the specific intended use.
There are many reasons for having your jewelry appraised and the value of your personal property is different in each of a variety of situations. Some appraisals have definitions of value dictated by law. With others the appraiser chooses the appropriate type of value and appraisal method for the situation. However, assessing the value of your jewelry is only one of the appraiser's jobs.
The appraiser has three functions, and all of them are important to you.
- Identifier. Your jewelry must be identified as to the materials, workmanship, condition and any other elements affecting its value. It is then evaluated, i.e., ranked in quality in relation to all other similar property.
- Valuer. A value must be assigned to the jewelry that is appropriate to the intended use of the appraisal.
- Witness to the property. The appraiser can attest in a court of law that the jewelry existed at a certain point in time, that it was in a certain condition, and that it was valued according to accepted valuation practice. (This is why it is necessary for your appraiser to examine your jewelry when you have the appraisal updated.)
Some of the most common reasons for obtaining a jewelry appraisal are...
- Purchase/Sale Related Reasons
- Quality Confirmation (Does my diamond match the certificate it came with?)
- Purchase Price Evaluation (Did I pay a fair price?)
- Sale Price Evaluation (How much can I get for this jewelry?)
- To confirm certification and valuation from internet and cruise ship purchases (Did I get what I paid for?)
- Insurance Related Reasons
- Insurance Scheduling
- Insurance Claims (Post Loss Appraisal)
- Damage Report (Evaluation for level of damage, repair, or replacement)
- Estate Related Reasons
- Estate Planning/Trust Formation
- Federal estate tax (estates in excess of $1 million)
- State probate for estates with a will
- Distribution of Property between Heirs
- Liquidation Related Reasons
- Resale of property
- Orderly liquidation
- Forced liquidation
- Divorce/Dissolution of Marriage
- Litigation Support
- Expert Witness services
- Non-Cash Charitable Donation (IRS Deduction)
Professional Jewelry Appraisal Services for...
Fully detailed descriptions with fully researched replacement value in the correct market.
- Color Digital photography
- Option to e-mail PDF reports
- Post Loss Appraisal
- Damage Reports (Evaluation for Repair & Replacement)
- Archival Reports
- Secure Facility
Fee ScheduleQualifications Contact Information & Map
Government / Law Enforcement Agencies
Local, County, State, and Federal Experience with seized property
- On-site examinations (portable laboratory)
- Consulting available (consulting at time of seizure)
- Reports include valuations for litigation support, liquidation information, and color digital photos.
Call for FeesQualifications Contact Information & Map
Jewelry Industry Professionals
Trust customers are in good hands (non-competitive, independent)
- Referrals Welcome
- No vested interest
- Secure facility
- Laboratory Equipment
- Research Library
Call for FeesSample Report (.pdf *) Qualifications Contact Information & Map
Independent status -
We have no vested interest in outcome. We seek only the truth.
- Experience (over 30 years)
- Comfortable, secure laboratory/office for appointments
- Portable Laboratory Equipment (when the jewelry can't come to me)
Fee ScheduleSample Report (.pdf *) Qualifications Contact Information & Map
Interesting Facts & Articles
* To view the Sample Report, you need the free Adobe® Reader® to view these documents.
Website Code © Copyright 2006-
G-Force Services. All rights reserved.
Content © Copyright
Gem Appraisals Unlimited, LLC. All rights reserved.